Hurricane Sandy

It's been raining lightly on and off all day, but not at the moment. My basement is not finished. It is hand laid stone with a poured concrete floor, and resides under the original main section that was constructed in the middle of the 19th century. Marla refuses to go down into it. It has a large fireplace on one end with shaker style doors, and was used as a "summer kitchen" long ago.

I have most of the water out, and will eventually just let the rest work out by itself. More water just keeps seeping in since the ground is still so saturated. I will collect the big branches this coming weekend. I still managed to get some business work done in between taking care of the house issues.

As it turned out, our company was open today, but only 20% of the employees showed up. I will probably go in tomorrow.

do you have a pump that you used, or how'd you empty the basement? Anything of value get damaged down there? Furnace?

I ran around this morning to find a pump that will suck water out to within 7/16" on a flat floor. Pumps out using a garden hose.

Nothing is ruined since I keep nothing of value down there. All system components are up on blocks - higher than the water level can get.

uRZ7L.png

nyc taxi cabs

Going into 3rd day with out power. Generator been running since early this morning. Drove around town and couple Towns over it's a big mess right now. 5 houses down from me has power. Also decided to keep the generator running all night so been driving around all over NJ for some gas. Drove about 30miles awAy from my house just to find a gas station that's open. $40 worth of gas should be good till tomorrow.

And webby I saw your post yesterday bout the garage thing. Couldn't do that yesterday since the garage was already locked in. But 1of the windows broke and I was able to reach the cable and pull it down so we finally got a chance to open the garage

glad to see everyone is safe. We didn't lose pwr, guess we got lucky. There were high winds throughout the night on Mon. Today everything looked back to normal except for many local streets closed due to flooding. Me and my lady moved our civics away from trees just to be safe. But wow crazy to see the pics of NYC

I had to detour twice on the way into work this morning. Many of the back roads I use were covered in debris, except for two narrow tracks where automobile tires kept the road visible. If you got out of those tracks, it was like driving on buttered oatmeal.

My work is still without power, so I am on day 2.5 of sitting at home... Another hassle for me is I am waiting on transmission fluid which is stuck at a UPS warehouse near me and I need it...lol

^^^
On what. The no work or the transmission fluid.

On the plus note I just found out I am still getting paid for the last 3 days so no vacation time will be used and the transmission fluid will be at my house tomorrow...

Back