Hurricane Sandy

man working security, it's always like that for me. I was surprised I was off work mon and tues. I worked through Irene. My job give a $50 gift card about 2 months after.

Lol, It's my job now. If waffle house is open we are open......
It seems that way

The entrance of my old job would flood out in heavy rain. I got to work once, entrance was flooded, called the boss and was told I better get in or take a week off work unpaid. I drove in carefully, water was about to the bottom of the bumper and about 6 inches from the CAI filter and was almost clear of making it until a dump truck coming down the hill hit the water and created a wave that hit the car, water got sucked into intake and hydrolocked the motor...

^^^^^
Yup, but my Honda dealer put a motor with 30k on the ticker and before it went in they tore it apart and replaced every seal and every wearable part inside and out..

No insurance covered it, but my adjuster knew the service advisor that was working on my car so all my adjuster did was open the doors check the carpet and said find a motor, the rebuild was something they did cause I am a loyal customer. Just cost me 100 bucks for my detucible...

that's quite a delay, but I'm sure there are still a huge amount of people without power. You have a wood burning fireplace, or can the gen run your furnace to keep you warm?

Our family room has a gas stove and the living room has a fireplace. The rest of the house is oil furnace hot water. I used to have a large coal/wood stove in the kitchen, but got rid of that seven years ago.

The not so ordinary New York Skyline. A friend from Hoboken took this. Hoboken is still a mess.
63094_10151304103340429_359438893_n.jpg

The gas situation is horrible. That's what happened to us when hurricane Ike hit Texas in 08. Once the gas was gone, so were people's civility. When survival mode kicks in people can become crazy. Be careful out there...

There's gas in our area, but when I stopped to get some on the way home yesterday, it was ridiculously chaotic. People were acting frantically.

webby That's a creepy pic of NY.....reminds me of a scene from Constantine where the lights go out and he blows a flame and all the demons scatter :hiding::iough::bricks:

I travel a lot for work inspecting power plants around the US and just happened to be on a job this week. I flew in to Philly on Sunday and back out yesterday. I honestly didn't think I was going to get home yesterday, the airport was MOBBED and they were just getting back to opening. I somehow made it though. US Airways was bringing in entire planes full of support staff (stewardesses, pilots, etc.) when we were at the airport. Didn't seem like PA got the brunt of the storm like other areas did. Just a little rain in Maine.

Here's a pic I took of the Seaside pier back in 06 versus the one everyone's seeing on the news. It's insane to see the damage like this
seasidesandy.jpg

I just contacted my friend who lives at Point Pleasant beach (not too far from Seaside). He told me that his garage, pool, and basement are completely wrecked.

The down trees in my neighborhood are still not removed. They are still leaning on houses and resting on cars at the moment. This shows how busy this state and the towns are right now. I haven't seen much electricians working by the neighborhood, but I'm guessing that they are working by the main streets 1st to get the traffic control back to power. The streets by my area look much more busy because the traffic lights have no power and the drivers don't seem to know how to handle the traffic. Lol.

I'm very worried about this gas issue. But it is a good thing that Governor Christie is doing his best to make sure that the gas stations don't take advantage of this and increase the prices. Gas stations will have a hefty fine if they do. I'm hoping everything is up and running by next week. :pray:

I think the gas situation will be resolved by the end of the weekend or at the very least it won't be as bad since more and more people (over 60% of customers have power again)

Back