Official Computer Talk Thread

Few vertical lines on the LCD display usually caused by press too hard at the corner of LCD screen. Try to connect your laptop to ext monitor or tv first. if everything look ok on external screen then it's time to looking for new laptop LCD screen.

I'm 80% sure the LCD is damage.

I figured I would ask here since I haven't found a firm answer anywhere else. I have a HP dv6-7000 laptop and have recently been having a thin, light gray, vertical line popping up on the middle of my screen. The line only appears once in a while and when it does, the time varies (sometimes right after startup, sometimes when the laptop has been on for a while). If the laptop is restarted it does show on the loading screen. I never plugged in an external monitor to see if the problem persisted. Although pressing the screen is not recommended, if I lightly rub my finger down the line it does disappear. I have never dropped the laptop nor banged the lid on anything.

Beginning of dead pixels? Loose connector? Something else?

Kinda sounds like a loose connector. I bet there is a loose connection between the bottom of the laptop and the screen. If you move the screen back and forth, does it make the line show up and disappear or anything? My last HP laptop spent a week every month in for servicing through its 3 year life. I bought a Lenovo and a year and a half later, the battery still runs for 2+ hours and it's never had so much as a glitch.

Kinda sounds like a loose connector. I bet there is a loose connection between the bottom of the laptop and the screen. If you move the screen back and forth, does it make the line show up and disappear or anything? My last HP laptop spent a week every month in for servicing through its 3 year life. I bought a Lenovo and a year and a half later, the battery still runs for 2+ hours and it's never had so much as a glitch.

I'll have to check when I get home. Why I stick with HP I don't know. The three laptops I have owned have all had something go wrong within the first year. The motherboard on my previous laptop **** the bed right before the one year warranty was up. HP explained that it was a common problem at the time and they replaced it for free. Unfortunately, the one year warranty on my current HP laptop expired a couple months ago. My HP desktop was the only trooper, it ran strong through six years of hardcore gaming before I sold it.

Yeah. I built my last desktop and components have 3+ years of warranty, many with 5 years. Components are easier to deal with warranty than the whole computer.

@FooBird Moving the screen back and fourth does not make the line appear. From what I can remember when it is there, the only way I can get it to disappear is to very lightly rub my finger down the line. It disappears once I get about 3/4 of the way down.

Update: I just finished opening up my laptop to check the screen connection. Everything appeared to be fine on the bottom side. I ordered a new cover lid so I'm going to hold off checking the connector in the lid itself until the cover arrives. When I turned my laptop back on the gray line appeared. I hooked up an external monitor and the gray line was not visible. Faulty LCD? After lightly dragging my finger down the line it disappeared.

Well it shows it's not video card related. If the line isn't present on the external, you have issues with your LCD, or a connection going to the LCD.

Well it shows it's not video card related. If the line isn't present on the external, you have issues with your LCD, or a connection going to the LCD.

Once my lid cover comes in I'll check the LCD connection there. I forgot the buy an x-acto knife when I was out earlier, the bezel around the screen is a PITA to take off without one.

Replaced my MSi R9-280X with a EVGA GTX 770

The R9-280X developed coil whine and it was pretty ******* annoying/loud.

View: http://youtu.be/XLtAhd0-O5s

New card! :)

3IZOewRl.jpg

YjREqTQl.jpg

EzYaISXl.jpg

you gotta love how far technology has come...
i just accidentally wiped my sd card and internal storage on my phone (still not sure how, but i was messing with my ROM so it was my fault)
i freaked out at first but then realized that nothing was really gone....
photos, videos, contacts, notes, files, are all on google services.
music is on spotify
that just saved my day!
thank you internet

was it really loud? They supposedly make a lot more noise from standard keyboards

was it really loud? They supposedly make a lot more noise from standard keyboards

It wasn't really loud. Definitely louder than a standard keyboard.

I went to MicroCenter Saturday and they had a Corsair K70 out with Cherry MX Red keys and that wasn't bad.

I read brown keys are just like blues but with out the loud noise.

Back