DIY Carbon Fiber Wrap on Coupe Door Handles

Velox

Naples, FL
Vehicle Model
2013 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe
Just in case anyone wanted to know how to do a carbon fiber wrap on the handles in a coupe, here is a quick DIY. I saw this post, which made me want to do it. This doesn't seem like the type of forum where people get upset for "idea theft," but I do not intend to suggest this was my idea. I only wanted to do this after I saw that post. Thanks, TheSlowAndTheSerious.

First, take off the handle. To do this, get a trim removal tool or a slotted screw driver with tape over it (to prevent scratches) and simply pry it off. I would suggest starting from the skinny point (the right side in this photo)
IMG_7355_zpsfe2f149f.sized.jpg

Before
IMG_7367_zps53613bd9.sized.jpg

After the piece is removed, clean it to get the best adhesive bond. I used cotton balls and Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). Be sure the surface is completely dry before applying the wrap.
IMG_7371_zps8404f0a9.sized.jpg

IMG_7386_zps172ae677.sized.jpg

You'll need the carbon fiber wrap, an application tool, and a heat gun. I'm using a 3M brand tool and wrap and a random hobby heat gun. With sharp curves like this, a heat source is imperative in order to get the wrap to be smooth and tight.
IMG_7380_zps6ccdb78a.sized.jpg

Cut out a piece of the wrap to fit the piece. I went a little too big just to be sure I had enough to wrap around.
IMG_7383_zpsf1d51c7a.sized.jpg

Apply the wrap. It's hard to photograph how this is done. But start in the center and apply the wrap. Then heat up a section and pull and rub it tight along the piece. The heat will make the wrap loosen up to be molded, then harden more than before it was treated to hold its place. These pieces took me about 30 minutes together and I suggest taking your time to make sure everything is smooth.
IMG_7389_zpsba25db49.sized.jpg

After it's wrapped (back)
IMG_7393_zpse9a0da08.sized.jpg

Trim away the excess in the rear. Leave just enough to wrap around and “grip” the back of the piece. This will prevent the wrap from flaking up on the corners and looking shitty. Make sure the clips remain functional so the piece can be reattached. I know my back doesn't look very clean, but I tried to leave a lot of material on the back to increase the strength and to make it less likely that the wrap would come undone or wrinkle.
IMG_7396_zpse61a57ba.sized.jpg

All done.
IMG_7398_zps273d764c.sized.jpg

Now repeat on the other handle.
IMG_7403_zps455366cf.sized.jpg

Reinstall by lining up the clips and pushing it into place in the door. If it doesn't fit, be sure to trim away the wrap from the clips in the back - the material can prevent the clips from operating as they're intended.
IMG_7406_zps5680ebbe.sized.jpg

I assume this is what some viewers may be thinking:
1) Why did I need a tutorial to see that?
- In case you've never seen carbon fiber wrap applied. It doesn't hurt to post a DIY :)

2) Wow, rice much?
- You're viewing a Honda Civic forum; your argument is invalid. Also, this clip sums up my opinion on the modifications I choose to do to my cars.

So yeah, if anyone didn't know how to do that... now you do :D

- Velox

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great! I think I would do this if I had a coupe. The 2012's interior is quite uninspired and lacks some punch which this certainly adds.
A+

Thanks! :clapping:

This would give me more courage to attempt this on my own.
Good, that's what I was going for! Even if it's sloppy the first time, you can heat the wrap and pull it off in order to reapply it or tear it off completely. It's strong enough to hold, but it doesn't leave nasty residue if it needs to be removed.
Looks great! I think I would do this if I had a coupe. The 2012's interior is quite uninspired and lacks some punch which this certainly adds.
A+
Thank you. This is a 2013 EX, though.

I love it! It doesn't make much sense to me why Honda would only use carbon fiber on just the dash. Why not handles, steering wheel, or other parts?
Besides, it's YOUR car that YOU pay for. Anyone that's calling your ideas as "rice" should go to another forum. Doing mods like this makes our cars unique. Again, great idea and job!!

Just in case anyone wanted to know how to do a carbon fiber wrap on the handles in a coupe, here is a quick DIY. I saw this post, which made me want to do it. This doesn't seem like the type of forum where people get upset for "idea theft," but I do not intend to suggest this was my idea. I only wanted to do this after I saw that post. Thanks, TheSlowAndTheSerious.

First, take off the handle. To do this, get a trim removal tool or a slotted screw driver with tape over it (to prevent scratches) and simply pry it off. I would suggest starting from the skinny point (the right side in this photo)
IMG_7355_zpsfe2f149f.sized.jpg
I might try this since I just ordered some carbon fiber .....I wanted to do my doors and my dash

Before
IMG_7367_zps53613bd9.sized.jpg

After the piece is removed, clean it to get the best adhesive bond. I used cotton balls and Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). Be sure the surface is completely dry before applying the wrap.
IMG_7371_zps8404f0a9.sized.jpg

IMG_7386_zps172ae677.sized.jpg

You'll need the carbon fiber wrap, an application tool, and a heat gun. I'm using a 3M brand tool and wrap and a random hobby heat gun. With sharp curves like this, a heat source is imperative in order to get the wrap to be smooth and tight.
IMG_7380_zps6ccdb78a.sized.jpg

Cut out a piece of the wrap to fit the piece. I went a little too big just to be sure I had enough to wrap around.
IMG_7383_zpsf1d51c7a.sized.jpg

Apply the wrap. It's hard to photograph how this is done. But start in the center and apply the wrap. Then heat up a section and pull and rub it tight along the piece. The heat will make the wrap loosen up to be molded, then harden more than before it was treated to hold its place. These pieces took me about 30 minutes together and I suggest taking your time to make sure everything is smooth.
IMG_7389_zpsba25db49.sized.jpg

After it's wrapped (back)
IMG_7393_zpse9a0da08.sized.jpg

Trim away the excess in the rear. Leave just enough to wrap around and “grip” the back of the piece. This will prevent the wrap from flaking up on the corners and looking shitty. Make sure the clips remain functional so the piece can be reattached. I know my back doesn't look very clean, but I tried to leave a lot of material on the back to increase the strength and to make it less likely that the wrap would come undone or wrinkle.
IMG_7396_zpse61a57ba.sized.jpg

All done.
IMG_7398_zps273d764c.sized.jpg

Now repeat on the other handle.
IMG_7403_zps455366cf.sized.jpg

Reinstall by lining up the clips and pushing it into place in the door. If it doesn't fit, be sure to trim away the wrap from the clips in the back - the material can prevent the clips from operating as they're intended.
IMG_7406_zps5680ebbe.sized.jpg

I assume this is what some viewers may be thinking:
1) Why did I need a tutorial to see that?
- In case you've never seen carbon fiber wrap applied. It doesn't hurt to post a DIY :)

2) Wow, rice much?
- You're viewing a Honda Civic forum; your argument is invalid. Also, this clip sums up my opinion on the modifications I choose to do to my cars.

So yeah, if anyone didn't know how to do that... now you do :D

- Velox

looks great man lol thanks for the shoutout, yeah I definitely suggest to anyone doing getting enough wrap around it and into the actual handle it not itll come off..Just redid one two days ago cause it was coming off the other one is holding up perfectly since I put more vinyl around it lol...its a simple cheap mod and looks great. If the actual door handles werent so complicated I'd do those too lol..gonna wrap the silver piece on the steering wheel and e-brake in black gloss soon..this silver in the interior looks sooo outta place!!

looks great man lol thanks for the shoutout, yeah I definitely suggest to anyone doing getting enough wrap around it and into the actual handle it not itll come off..Just redid one two days ago cause it was coming off the other one is holding up perfectly since I put more vinyl around it lol...its a simple cheap mod and looks great. If the actual door handles werent so complicated I'd do those too lol..gonna wrap the silver piece on the steering wheel and e-brake in black gloss soon..this silver in the interior looks sooo outta place!!

the interior looks nice BUT the colors are just crap

Regarding the little note at the bottom of the post, normally these kinds of mods are pretty ricey... because people typically just use stickers and it looks like crap. This looks good and clean because you actually took the time to do it right by wrapping it and doing it perfectly.

I may do the silver interior I agree it does look outta place

Yeah. I wrapped the silver piece of the steering wheel with carbon fiber.

8698337251_be8ea5da8a_b.jpg

Thanks bro! First time I ever worked with carbon fiber wrap, took me 2 tries...I think I did okay.

yeah you live and you learn bro lol..when I did my door handles I did the second one probably in half the time I did the first one..going to wrap my roof myself this weekend let's see how this comes out lol...honestly paying anyone to wrap stuff is the biggest waste of money as long as your patient its easy to do.

yeah you live and you learn bro lol..when I did my door handles I did the second one probably in half the time I did the first one..going to wrap my roof myself this weekend let's see how this comes out lol...honestly paying anyone to wrap stuff is the biggest waste of money as long as your patient its easy to do.

Yeah. I know if I had to redo it (which I plan to) I can do a MUCH better job and probably much quicker too.

Sweet bro! Post pics once you do.

Back