What's your opinion on Extended Warranty, Paint Protection and Rust Protection for the 2012 Civic?

If I had the extended warranty on my old RSX-S I'd have been a lot better off. The cost of replacing the A/C alone was several hundred more than what I paid for my extra 2 year warranty on the Si. It's hit or miss... you may rarely ever need the warranty or you may end up with a lemon and use it more than you like. Basically I negotiated my price anyways so what they deducted covered the cost of my extra warranty.

you really never know if and when something might break. the warranty is all personal preference. just like life insurance, medical insurance, etc., some people would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

An extended warranty may look like it offers piece of mind on paper, but you really never know. Yes, it is a possibility that the Honda you thought was the paragon of reliability completely falls apart. It's also possible that the extended warranty the dealer promised would protect you in that event isn't worth the paper its printed on.

Personally, I've heard more horror stories about the latter than the former.

An extended warranty may look like it offers piece of mind on paper, but you really never know. Yes, it is a possibility that the Honda you thought was the paragon of reliability completely falls apart. It's also possible that the extended warranty the dealer promised would protect you in that event isn't worth the paper its printed on.

Personally, I've heard more horror stories about the latter than the former.

Depends which company the warranty is from. Honda Care basically extends your factory warranty for however long you buy it for. Third party warranties are generally the ones you hear horror stories about. All the warranty sales are handled by the finance department in our dealership, but not once have I heard of a customer getting denied a warranty claim if the car was properly used and maintained.

Again, it all comes down to different strokes for different folks. If you don't like it, fine. I just don't understand why people have to go bashing something because someone heard somebody say that their friend heard something from his brother's wife's uncle whose cousin had a bad experience with something.

If you personally had a bad experience with a third party warranty, then that sucks. Our dealership only sells Honda Care, because it's actually cheaper than most third party options, and it's a lot more comprehensive than most other options.

I've had many customers who would have paid much more in repairs had they not had Honda Care. I've never bought an extended warranty myself, and thankfully, have never needed it. But the fact is that many people have used them, and there probably are just as many happy customers as there are unhappy ones. Warranties have their purpose just like life insurance and car insurance.

I didn't mean to bash, and I'm not saying that extended warranties are always a bad deal or anything. I was mostly thinking of the salesman who tries to convince you that your brand new car is likely to fall apart and cost you thousands in repairs if you don't buy the warranty. It's ironic because you could say the same thing about the warranty itself in order to sell a warranty on the warranty, and so on.

I agree that warranties have their purpose just like life insurance and car insurance. But that doesn't mean you should always get the life insurance they sell at airports or the car insurance they sell on rental cars. I'm just saying don't let the salesman inflate the actual risk and sell you something on an impulse after you've just spent a ton on a new car. If you want an extended warranty, do your research and get a good one, just like you did with your vehicle.

Thanks for the responses guys! I talked to my parents about it to try and get them to save money, but they said pretty much what you all said: extended warranty gives them peace of mind.

and when it comes to that, sometimes the cost does not matter one bit.

I got the extended warranty and paint protection. I thought about it for awhile but like someone said earlier, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. As far as the paint protection goes, I knew it sounded like crap, but I've seen how damaging the sun can be on cars here in az. One of my good friends has a 04 civic and he got the paint protection plan, and his paint looks a lot better than other cars from the same generation. So for a little more per month, I feel it was worth it, in my situation.

The two Civics we purchased last month were the first two cars that I can remember (other than my wife's leased Toyota) for which we did not purchase an extended warranty on. When we were first starting out, we bought used cars that were still under warranty, then bought the extended to take the vehicle to 100,000 miles. In a couple of cases, I'm glad we had them. Oddly enough, it was on the vehicles that we bought new where we really needed the warranty. This time, we opted to rely on Honda's reputation rather than take an extended warranty. That said, we are putting money into an account to help cover any unforeseen problems down the road. I'm just hoping this decision doesn't swim around to bite us.

Why did we buy the warranties on the other vehicles? Like others have said . . . peace of mind. Plus, we figured that rather than having to come up with the money to fix an unexpected repair post-warranty, we were essentially paying for an insurance policy financed with the car at a lower interest rate, as compared to having to cover the cost of the repair on a credit card, with a much higher interest rate. The increase in the monthly payment really wasn't that much.

My father used to work for a GM dealership as their head mechanic. He told me then, even when rust was more of an issue for a vehicle, never to purchase the rustproofing or "paint protection" options.

When we went into the business office to purchase our Hondas, these things were offered, but NOT pressed upon us at all. More of a mention of options which were available, but that was it.

I just purchased my first Si this last weekend. And this is my first post!

We took the extended warranty for the peace of mind. We have owned a few Honda's: 3 Civic's, 1 Odyssey, and a couple motorcycles. When we bought the 2003 Odyssey and a 2008 Civic brand new, we purchased the extended warranty. We have used the warranty on both and it covered 100% of the expense and paid for themselves. You never know and a few extra bucks a month on the payment is definitely peace of mind for me. To each his own on this one.

welcome to the site. Nothing wrong with having peace of mind that your car will be covered in case of issues. Post up some pics in an intro thread when you get a chance :thumb:

Yeah my current car they tried to sell me the extended warranty on my 2012 Civic Hybrid w/Navi. Since I bought the hybrid and living in California the IMA / Battery are already extended to 150k miles / 10 years at no extra cost. That is a huge relief for me since these things are expensive to fix if it ever have a problem.

So no on extended warranty unless you are a hard driver. Preventive maintenance is the key and don't skimp on them.

I can honestly say the paint protection is for suckers. And I bought it :/ I had my first of four done and for one its a inconvenience to schedule a couple hour car wash. I already washed my car the day before because it said I would be charged $10.00 if the car wasn't already free of any and all dirt. I just did an express drive through wash (which I normally don't do, but I was pressed for time). But when I picked up my car it still had some bugs on the front, which I pointed out to my service writer. He offered to send it through again but I didn't have the time. I also pointed out about 5-6 chips in the paint. I know since I live in Arizona there are a lot of rocks, so rock chips happen more often here, but it just seems excessive for a 6 month old car. I have heard a few people mention that this paint is known for easy chips and cracks, so I don't understand the benefit of protecting paint that is going to chip up anyways. I'm going to try to refund the remaining 3 sessions left and use that money to just get a detail job done once every 6 months. /rant lol

My local dealership has the extended warranty but they cover it for life. No miles or year restriction.
That would be a dealership warranty, and not a warranty through "honda". I've seen a few people say their dealership did similar things. As long as the dealership is in good standing/in business... you have an extra warranty through them.

That's what I was trying to say. Sry I wasn't clear. The dealership covers it for life. Just all the work has to be done by Honda certified mechanic.

I did buy the extended warranty to extend it to 5yrs. Honestly it was only around $750 so its not too bad, if it was a couple thousand extra i would think twice. I am financing over 5 years so i would rather be covered for the period that i am still owing money on the car. As reliable as something may seem to be, there are always exceptions and things do go wrong. Mechanically it may be sound, but there are a lot more electronics in cars nowadays and its very hard to maintain things like that, either they work or they don't.
As for the paint and corrosion protection, I honestly dont even remeber the dealership pushing those warranties at all. Even if they did, i wouldnt buy it anyways.

I took extended warranty 7/200k so I should be good. Its just a piece of mind. I said no to rust protection but took spoiler/door edge guard and molding +protection package

Back