trustdestruction's '12 Si FB6 Build

trustdestruction

Tampa, FL
I traded in my 2011 CR-Z in for a 2012 Civic Si in April '12, and i've started getting into modding the new car so I started this build tread.

Current mod list:

Engine & Transmission
Takeda Momentum Stage-2 PRO DRY S Intake
MTEC Industries Sport Shift Springs
Hybrid Racing Shifter Cable Bushings
Hybrid Racing Shifter Box Base Bushings
P2R Braided Steel Clutch Line
Ate TYP 200 Clutch Fluid
Blox Racing Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Suspension, Tires, Wheels, & Brakes:
XXR 530 17"x7" Wheels, Chromium Black
Mugen Heptagon #7 Lug Nuts
Volk Racing/Rays Valve Stem Caps, Black
H&R OE Sport Springs
Progress 22mm Rear Sway Bar
Moog Rear Sway Bar Links
Energy Suspension Rear Sway Bar Bushings
Goodridge Braided Steel Brake Lines
Ate TYP 200 Brake Fluid

Exterior:
Tint (28% F, 15% R)
Honda OEM JDM Civic Type-R Honda Emblems
Yospeed 'Si' License Plate Frame, Wrinkle Black
K-Tuned K-series Coil Pack Cover
Skunk2 Black Series Oil Cap
Yospeed 'Si' Battery Tie Down, Wrinkle Black
Philips CrystalVision Ultra Headlights (Low-beam & High-beam/DRL)
Philips CrystalVision Ultra Foglights
Super Bright LEDs LED License Plate Lights
Super Bright LEDs LED Reverse Lights

Interior:
Mugen Spherical Aluminum Shift Knob
Mugen Room Mirror Cover, Crystal Black Pearl
Honda OEM Hazard Light Switch
J's Racing Type-R Steering Wheel Emblem
Super Bright LEDs LED Dome Lights
Super Bright LEDs LED Trunk Light
Honda OEM Trunk Lid Insulator
Honda OEM Trunk Tray
Honda OEM JDM Key Fob Cover
iPod Classic 120GB (via iMID)

Future mods:
Strut King Dead Pedal Cover ($40) (not yet available)

Last edited:
Pics of the Yospeed license plate frame installation:

Old frame:

IMG_1192_zpsdee521ae.jpg IMG_1193_zpsba4980cb.jpg IMG_1209_zps06cefeb9.jpg

Paint after claying and applying paint sealant (Meguiar's NXT generation Tech Wax 2.0):

IMG_1195_zps1becd3fe.jpg

Installed:

74cd6c92-66ae-4b35-bd80-cd15f0b2ed36_zpsb7f0eb2b.jpg IMG_1196_zpsae8f1f17.jpg IMG_1204_zpsbc865dad.jpg

Last edited:
Ooohhh...I kinda like those bolts as opposed to a normal screw. Do they come in stainless, though?

MTEC Industries Shift Spring install:

It really tightened up the left-right play in the shifter and made it a lot more precise. No more shifting into the wrong gear because the stock shifter is so loose. I didn't get the race springs because I didn't want to make the shifter uncomfortable and I wasn't going to take the chance on that.

That being said, the installation was kind of a pain. The allen bolt on the transmission is extremely tight and there isn't much room to work with. To top it all off, the shifter mechanism fell apart when I took everything apart. It was difficult, but I got it put back together and was able to finally reinstall the parts. At $39.xx after shipping, I really recommend this upgrade. Reminds me a lot of the effect you get from replacing the shift linkage bushings on older Civics with Energy Suspension polyurethane, but possibly even better.

New springs:
IMG_1333_zpsca1586a3.jpg

Disassembling:

IMG_1337_zps129b8abf.jpg IMG_1336_zpsddefcd8b.jpg IMG_1341_zps1ac06b97.jpg

Reassembling:

IMG_1342_zpse2a852d5.jpg IMG_1343_zps6754d887.jpg IMG_1345_zps22beffa6.jpg IMG_1346_zpse8b91627.jpg

Last edited:
Steering Wheel Emblem install:

I normally think stuff like this is kind of rice, but in this case I like it. It looks legitimate, and it's of pretty good quality. Even removed the stock emblem to put this one on. Looks good with the red of the Si interior. Would never consider putting it on anything other than an Si though.

Part of a plastic pegs on the stock emblem fell behind the airbag while removing so I have to remove the airbag later and get it out. It rattles a little in there when i turn the wheel. :( Looks good though.

Old:

IMG_1362_zps80bdb23a.jpg

New:

IMG_1365_zps831cf578.jpg

Last edited:
How are you liking the CrystalVisions?
I like them a lot, they are relatively inexpensive and give off that pure white beam color. They're bright, and they're Philips brand so I know I can trust them to be a good product. I have had Silverstars before and plenty of other brands, and these are my favorites. They are less expensive without sacrificing quality. I also like the Nokya Arctic White, which I used to have on a previous car, a del Sol.

Ooohhh...I kinda like those bolts as opposed to a normal screw. Do they come in stainless, though?
They actually came with the frame. I think these are aluminum? But they could be stainless. Yospeed could probably tell you. There are probably some stainless available at the hardware store, and yeah I really like how these are sunk into the frame. I really recommend the Yospeed frame, it's a very nice product and probably the highest quality license plate frame I have ever seen or heard of.

Last edited:
I just installed a backup cam with nice heavy weight metal frame very similar to the YoSpeed one. Which is why I asked about the bolts.

I just installed a backup cam with nice heavy weight metal frame very similar to the YoSpeed one. Which is why I asked about the bolts.
Sweet, you should check out the local hardware store and just browse the nicer bolts they have for sale. I remember with the del Sol I used to drive, I found some really nice stainless bolts that worked perfectly for dressing up under the hood.

Nice build. What's the MTEC Pivot Ball?

Nice build. What's the MTEC Pivot Ball?
looking good
Thanks guys.

The pivot ball is a part in the shifter that another part in the shifter pivots on. It's kind of like a bushing. Apparently the stock one is pretty loose, and the MTEC one tightens things up, reducing play in the shifter. However, MTEC does not claim theirs fits our shifter box, only RSX/DC5. Our shifter box looks different than the DC5 but the pivot ball appears the same (different color).

I borrowed a pic from squiggy's short shifter DIY and circled the part in blue. On second thought it might be a bearing.
c20.jpeg

Here is the pic of the MTEC part.
MTECpivotball.jpg

Lastly, here is a link with pics of the DC5 shifter box and pivot ball. It's very similar but laid out differently. The same type of mechanism is present and I think the pivot ball might be the same. I'm probably going to buy it and just find out for myself, at such a low price of only $13.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=789001

Last edited:
Removed the airbag tonight and retrieved the broken parts from the old Honda emblem. I highly recommend just sticking the new emblem on top of the stock one to avoid such trouble. The stock emblem was flexible and extremely difficult to remove due to these large push clips. Followed the instructions on 8thcivic for the 8th gen. The process is identical.

Airbag removed:

IMG_1369.jpg

Here I had to break a small part of the underside of the airbag cover to make a gap for the pieces to fall out.

IMG_1371.jpg

The little bastards below:

IMG_1373.jpg

All done

IMG_1375.jpg

Last edited:
I traded in my 2011 CR-Z in for a 2012 Civic Si last April, and i've started getting into modding the new car so I started this build tread.

Current mod list:
K&N Drop-in Air Filter
MTEC Industries Sport Shift Springs
Tint (legal limit 28% front, 15% rear)
Yospeed 'Si' License Plate Frame
White LED License Plate & Reverse Lights
Philips CrystalVision Ultra Headlight (Low-beam & High-beam/DRL) & Foglight Bulbs
J's Racing Type-R Steering Wheel Emblem
White LED Dome & Trunk Lights
iPod Classic 120GB (via iMID) - (Not really a mod, I know...)

Future mods:
Hybrid Racing Shifter Cable Bushings (ordered)
Hybrid Racing Shfiter Box Base Bushings (ordered)
MTEC Industries Shifter Pivot Ball ($13)
JDM Hazard Light Switch ($45)
Mugen 6-speed Shift Knob ($68)
Type-R JDM Honda Emblem Combo ($129 - Corsport)
H&R OE Sport Springs ($244)
XXR 527 Chromium Black Wheels +35mm ($748)
Rays Lug Nuts ($159)
Yokohama Avid Ascend Tires 225/45/17 ($580)
Progress Rear Sway Bar ($184 - Red Shift Motorsports)
GReddy Momentum Intake ($324 - Evasive Motorsports)
Hondata Flash-pro ($695)

lol @ iPod mod..idk when you brought yours but my last car wasnt ipod compatible and I have a droid, but as soon as I got my Si a week later I was at best buy buying an iPod classic lol has only left my car like 3 times..twice to update the music and once when I dropped my car off to get my springs installed.

Im pretty sure I saw you 2 Saturdays ago... You were on Limbaugh ave and you made a right on dale mabry.. Was that you? We both stopped at a light I was on the left side in a red 4 door si

Back