The mouth of a child is a terrifying thing to behold

MrsJrotax101

Administrator
Admin
original.jpg

The mouth of a child is a terrifying thing to behold

Inside the mouth of every child is a terrifying double row of teeth. Not that you'd ever know it — muscle, skin and bone prevent most of us from ever catching a glimpse of this extra dentition. Here's your chance to get a close-up look at what lies beyond the gum line.
On some level, most people probably recognize that a child's erupting permanent teeth have to be situated more or less right on top of their smaller predecessors, in order to dissolve their roots and ultimately replace them (a process known as exfoliation).
original.jpg

What many fail to appreciate, however, is just how little room there is for exfoliation to take place. This picture [click for hi-res], taken by photographer Stefan Schäfer at theHunterian Museum in London, reveals several permanent teeth crammed into a space so small, it almost looks like they're burrowing outward in a bid to escape from the skull entirely — the front teeth via the eye and nasal cavities, the lower teeth by way of the jawline.
Stare at it too long, in fact, and the skull's primary teeth almost start to resemble a set of pharyngeal jaws. Wonderful. Now I'll never be able to look at a child again without thinking about xenomorph dentition. Biology: Not only is it fascinating, it's also high-octane nightmare fuel.
Photographs by Stefan Schäfer [flickr | website]

Article from: http://io9.com/5910844/the-mouth-of-a-child-is-a-terrifying-thing-to-behold

• Staff
You don't find it scary? lol I have not been able to get that image out of my head since I saw it.

No, I thought it was cool...that's why I posted it. Usually I'm the one that would be freaked out but I found it really interesting. lmao

Haha usually I find crap like this cool too but for some reason, this one just scares the crap out of me. I mean I always knew the adult teeth were behind the baby teeth but this just brought a terrifying reality to it

:rotfl: I've actually always been quite curious how it all fit in there...so I was excited to find this LOL

Back