Running 17x7 235/45/17 for winters?

mpheng

Calgary, Alberta
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan
Hi guys sorry for making a new thread but I just can't find an exact answer. Right now I can get a good deal on Acura TL rims with winters running 235/45/17. I know the tires are really wide compared to the 195/65/15 on my LX so I would like input on how they would fit and if it's a good idea to get wider tires for winters.

They usually tell people to run narrow tires for snow tires. It supposedly cuts into the snow better than a wide tire. Others are more knowledgable on tires though, so I'm sure you'll get further advise.

I always go with a smaller tire. Just less resistance through the snow like webby said. I run 16s on my Si in the winter.

I can vouch for getting narrower tires and smaller rim. A narrow tire cuts through snow better and has a smaller contact patch for forming water on ice. The smaller diameter/more tire also negociates bumps and snow piles better. I have 205 55 16 on my Si for winter not as fun on dry surfaces but work amazing on snow and ice.

235/45/17 is a TALL tire. Too tall for our cars especially for the 17x7. And 235 width winter tires is also too fat to be effective. They have to be narrow to get the best grip on icy roads.

run your stock size, or the optional winter size according to tire-rack of a 205/50r17

Won't you end up floating on top of the snow/slush/whatever instead of the tread biting into the pavement where the traction is? Also, the tire is 2.9% taller and a lot wider.

According to Toyo's specs:

Tire Size - Service Description - Product Code - Approved Rim Width Range (inch) - Overall Diameter (inch) - Overall Width (inch) - Tread Depth (1/32")

215/45ZR17** - 91W - 252340 - 7.0-7.0-8.0 - 24.6 - 8.5 - 10

235/45ZR17** - 97Y - 252360 - 7.5-8.0-9.0 - 25.2 - 9.4 - 10

Notice the minimum wheel width for the 235/45R17 tire specifies 7.5". Now every tire is a bit different, and snow tires are usually narrower (in tread anyways), but this gives you a general idea...

The biggest difference will be in the tire itself not the width.

A true winter tire, in any size, will outperform a summer tire in snow. It's all about the rubber compound.

In deep snow a narrow tire will "cut" through better to reach the pavement underneath but in icy conditions the wider tire will fare better by providing more grip. So it really just depends. Although both of these cases are at the far ends of the "winter" conditions spectrum.

I think it's a little big of a tire to try and run but I would be more concerned with the actual tire itself. Not only are the tread designs different on true winter tires but the rubber stays pliable in sub freezing temps. Running a winter tire in an area with no snow but very very cold temps still makes sense. An all season and especially a summer tire will harden up and lose all grip in extremely cold conditions.

So..... What tires are they? If its just a generic all season I'd say don't waste your time. Your speedo will be off a bit with those but if it's a good winter/snow tire I think it won't be ideal but definitely better than what you have now.

They are Bridgestone Blizzak's with 80% tread. And I have mistaken the rims of being 17x7 , they are actually 17x8. Compared to my Honda all season Firestone Affinity's, I've been told Blizzak's are one of the best winters on the market.

They are Bridgestone Blizzak's with 80% tread. And I have mistaken the rims of being 17x7 , they are actually 17x8. Compared to my Honda all season Firestone Affinity's, I've been told Blizzak's are one of the best winters on the market.

Mhmm well if it fits then I don't see why not, any winter tire is better than none. One thing to not is certain Blizzaks have some weird "cell" type tread material. They cover the first 40-50% of the tread then it becomes "normal" winters. Still a good deal though.

Back