iluvmycsx

Mr Csx
VIP Member
Regina - The City That Rhymes with Fun
Vehicle Model
Acura Csx
Body Style
Sedan
This is a Diy of how I Refinished and painted my wheels but can done on Oem wheels wheels also
The total cost of this Diy for me was around $230
2 Cans of Primer
2-3 Cans of Paint
2 Cans of Clear Coat
Fine grit automotive sandpaper 400 grit
Old Newspaper
IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

This Diy isnt too hard but is time consuming took me about 4 hours of work to do over several days. First this is what i started with a set of used 16" Motegi mr7 they had tires on which i had removed. The wheels had some paint chips and flaking.
IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

Washed them and took them to a local shop to get sandblasted. this was the first time i had sandbasted in a while (since i was in school)you can have someone do this but i wanted to try it. cost me $140 this is what they looked like after took about 1 1/2 hours to do all 4 wheels
IMG_0440.jpg

Next i wiped the wheels clean and dried with micro-fibre cloth make sure wheels are completly dry. Placed the wheels on old newspaper then sprayed the wheels with two thin coats of primer i used black sandable primer as i wanted a dark purple color.I sprayed the front face first allowed time to dry and then sprayed the inner wheel . allow ample time for drying before each coats Read instructions on can as drying times may vary.depending on your painting abilties some light sanding might be necessary once they were dry i went over a few areas with fine grit automotive sandpaper where there was a little overspray.
IMG_0442.jpg

if sanding was donewipe them down to get any dust or particals that might have be left from sanding. Now its time for the Paint the first coat of paint make sure to make even strokes you can put 3-4 coats on depends on paint and abilties. i put on 3 coats of paint. allow ample time for paint to dry between coats.
IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

after the third coat of paint i went over them with a three coats of clear just for extra protection since these are being used for winter.. recommend a week or two before washing to allow paint and clear coats to fully cure...
IMG_0452.jpg

i allowed 4 full days for paint to cure before re-installing tires. tires were installed/ballanced no damage to wheels here is how they turned out.
IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

next is to install them on the car...
torque the lug nuts to 80ftlbs.. when tightening the lugs do in a star pattern

imagesCA5V4G5E.jpg

This is how they look installed and on the Car...:vtec: car was dirty needs a bath :wash:

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

They turned out beautiously. I would have been worried about them being marred during the tire mounting. :ohnoes:
thanks
i wanted to let the paint cure for longer at least a week before they put the tires on but i needed winter tires on car sooner than later

Wheels look GREAT!! Looks like your ready for winter in style :cool:
thanks
wanted to go a different route for winter tired of the steel wheel look and since i got these for so cheap thought it would be a better fit.

Just in time for the snow to fall.....thank goodness.....driving in comfort with the new wheels. Very impressed with the tire iluvmycsx picked out, nice quit smooth ride. Can't wait to test them out in the snow.....:wheee:
since you helped pay for them its the least i could do.. :bighug:

Those look like some serious tires! Don't need them in Georgia,but wow those should do real well in winter!

Back