New wheel/tire setup

Hodin

Vancouver, BC
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Hi after a few hours of reading ive become lost and confused, so i might as well just ask.
Ive never had to choose a new tire/rim setup so i dont want to do this wrong. If someone could help me please T_T

I currently have a canadian 2013 civic si sedan with stock 17's on.

In the very near future im looking to purchase a 18x8 rims and tires. I dont want to stretch or at the least im okay with a LITTLE bit of stretch, and im also looking for hard sidewalls (I had primacy mxm4's on my cl type s and they looked horrible with soft sidewalls cause it was so heavy and i never want to look like that again) I will also be planning to drop my car about an inch on the front and back.

Im not very familiar on offset and tire sizes, what do you guys recommend so that my new setup wont cause rubbing when i lower the vehicle. Also I live in vancouver and i will have a winter setup with the stock wheels, im looking for allseasons that perform well in the rain.

I'm running Pilot Sports 215/40/18 on a 9" wheel and it doesn't look super stretched. I can take a close up picture if you want.

Reactions: mph
Go with a 225 that will be perfect for a 8" wheel, although a 215 would work well also. I think 215 is too small on a 9 but that's my personal preference.

Reactions: Nix
I am dropped on H&R springs and running a 245/40 on 17x8" +45 wheels with no issues.

I'd wanna see

215/40-18 on a 9" wheel
9.0-215-40-R18-Neogen.jpg

9.0-215-40-R18-Falken-FK452-6.jpg

9.0-215-40-R18-3.jpg

I wouldn't drive hard on them, no. People have blown sidewalls out just driving down the highway at normal speeds with stretch just like this. Tires aren't made to be stretched.

I wouldn't drive hard on them, no. People have blown sidewalls out just driving down the highway at normal speeds with stretch just like this. Tires aren't made to be stretched.

Personally I would not run less than a 225 width on a 9" wheel. Especially if you're going to drive hard on them.

Thanks @webby @Nix . I'll go with 225 tires when I get my wheels.

Reactions: Nix
The 225 will be the slightest of stretches. It will really depend on the particular tire but a 225 wide is a 9" section width. Some tires run a bit wider than others. It will just safely cover the wheel for you.

EDIT: You running 18" or 17" wheels?

The 225 will be the slightest of stretches. It will really depend on the particular tire but a 225 wide is a 9" section width. Some tires run a bit wider than others. It will just safely cover the wheel for you.

EDIT: You running 18" or 17" wheels?
Yeah, I looked up pics of 225's on a 9" and the stretch is barely noticeable. I like the look of 215/9" a lot better.

I'll be getting 18's

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

225/40/18 is a great tire size. Speedometer and odometer will be accurate. Spare tire still fits perfect if you get a flat. (Just be sure to put it on the rear even if the flat is in the front.)

Eeh, a 215? Stretch and camber = tire wear and reduced contact patch. Make the car drive better, not worse! I can't hate on all the stance cars though. I'll admit some do look good.

225/40/18 is a great tire size. Speedometer and odometer will be accurate. Spare tire still fits perfect if you get a flat. (Just be sure to put it on the rear even if the flat is in the front.)

Eeh, a 215? Stretch and camber = tire wear and reduced contact patch. Make the car drive better, not worse! I can't hate on all the stance cars though. I'll admit some do look good.

Nice, pretty sure those are the exact specs of my stock Continental tires. When I get my wheels I'll mount them on the Conti's and see how they ride/if they rub. Then I'll see if I wanna run 215's. No extreme camber and poke like that pic webby posted!:rotfl:

Last edited:
Back