squiggy

Cartographer
VIP Member
Michiana
Vehicle Model
Toyota MR2 Spyder
Body Style
Convertible
Under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, an automotive dealership/carmaker cannot void your warranty because your vehicle has been modified with aftermarket parts. They (the manufacturers) have to prove that the failure was the direct result of the installed aftermarket part. Unfortunately, too many folks have gone to a dealer to have warranty service performed on their modified vehicle only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states, that because of the aftermarket parts installed, the warranty is void (without even attempting to determine whether or not the aftermarket part caused the problem). This is illegal...period.

Examples where the dealership will not cover your repairs under warranty
You install an aftermarket air dam system to channel more air to the cold air intake system that you installed. The air dam system causes the vehicle to overheat because it restricts airflow over the radiator. As a result of overheating, the engine blows a head gasket and a cylinder head is warped. The car is still under warranty. You take it to your dealer and they determine that the aftermarket air dam system caused the overheating and thus the cylinder head damage and gasket failure. The carmaker is not obligated to perform any repairs under the provisions of the warranty.

webby

Can you sticky this? Possibly move it somewhere else if you think there is a better location. I just thought having an actual thread would be easy in order to point people to it.

I had a question on this. I remember them saying something about me workin gon the car when I was signing for it. I will have ot look at the paper work to see what it says in the fine print about this. Is it possible to add a cluase that will basically let them void my warranty? I didn't have plans to do any modding but now I do. I just got a better warranty through geico and there was nothing in it about modifications. I figured I would just carry both for good measure.

I had a question on this. I remember them saying something about me workin gon the car when I was signing for it. I will have ot look at the paper work to see what it says in the fine print about this. Is it possible to add a clause that will basically let them void my warranty? I didn't have plans to do any modding but now I do. I just got a better warranty through geico and there was nothing in it about modifications. I figured I would just carry both for good measure.

They cannot negate a law.

If install springs, can they void the whole power-train? From what i know they can only void a claim on case by case basis, not the warranty. The only thing i would be willing to pay for would be the shocks and wheel bearings. Any other components they can void if springs are installed?

If install springs, can they void the whole power-train? From what i know they can only void a claim on case by case basis, not the warranty. The only thing i would be willing to pay for would be the shocks and wheel bearings. Any other components they can void if springs are installed?

Wouldn't affect the power train. It is possible Honda tech's could say it affects the shocks, control arm bushings, bearings. Anything else would really be a stretch.

Wouldn't affect the power train. It is possible Honda tech's could say it affects the shocks, control arm bushings, bearings. Anything else would really be a stretch.

Thanks squiggy. I guess they can also link a cracked oil pan to that as well.

Visibility bump for new members.

all they do try to make money. if your car totaly stock theres money from honda. if add aftermarket part it look like or cause problem honda will not pay for dealer to fix.so they try to look everything .just bring it back to stock you be fine.
lets say .you have si .you did cold air intake and ecu tuning(honda flash pro) it blow engine .just try to tow your car at your home unintall part, and call dealer.
tell them I DO NOT KNOW!!

in my case . i had 13 civic hybrid only 2 weeks. my ecu blow. she wont start.show all the check engine code.
i tow it to dealer. they told me 08 or newer honda all the wire conduct made with SOY so could eat up from RAT
if this make ecu problem they wont give warrante repair. asking me $3000,00 repair.anyway they fix ecu.
at same day AC not working so i have to drive back to dealer. about 2 hour later they fix. later while i drive back to home
IME AUTOSTOP not working(when car stop . engine stop ,hybrid only) i drive back again .they fix it about an hour.
on lemon law . i already give the 3 time to repair.if one any isuue . i got new car.

i already give the 3 time to repair.if one any isuue . i got new car.
They have to repair the same item/problem 3 times. So if your brake issue couldn't be resolved in 3 separate attempts, you're looking at lemon laws. Lemon laws are also different between each state. It could be slightly different depending on where you live. Also, I'd ask to see the wire damage they claim was caused by rats on the ecu.

yes. my civic ecu got fried. all other related part .emi battery,auto stop, ac,
now she run great.80mph freeway and got 46mile mpg.so far so good. i just want to get 17rims and 215-45-17 tire on my
civic.

Back