Long term storage.

corybgee

Phx, Japan, Afghanistan
Vehicle Model
FB6
Hey everyone,

So i just got word that im going to Japan for the Air force for 4 years.
Im pretty excited but the bad news is i cant take my car, So my plan is to put the car in storage with my brother in law.
my question is what should i have him do with the car? IE- how often should i have him drive it and any tips for things to do or not to do.

Thanks for any advice!

Are you making payments on the car for the next 4yrs without driving it yourself? Have you considered selling it? You'd basically be paying for a depreciating car that you're not able to use for four years?

Are you making payments on the car for the next 4yrs without driving it yourself? Have you considered selling it? You'd basically be paying for a depreciating car that you're not able to use for four years?
Ya im aware, but i LOVE the car. my plans are to have it paid off in the first 2 years then just have it waiting for me so when i get back i wont have a car payment.

Reactions: Nix
sorry what was the question!?

I store my car every year. I only do a few things

- refuel (right before storing)
- gas stabilizer
- octane booster
- inflate all tires to 55psi (from normal 45psi because they're stretched)
- cover with civic felt cover
- disconnect battery and leave hood latch open

thats all i do. nothing else.

obviously a good cleaning and very good wax before i store it...

Hey everyone,

So i just got word that im going to Japan for the Air force for 4 years.
Im pretty excited but the bad news is i cant take my car, So my plan is to put the car in storage with my brother in law.
my question is what should i have him do with the car? IE- how often should i have him drive it and any tips for things to do or not to do.

Thanks for any advice!
Where are you getting stationed? I spent 4 years at Kadena AB.

I agree with AP and will add maybe put battery on a battery tender and a fresh oil change. Also, maybe add some desiccant packets to the interior to keep moisture out. Maybe some sort of mouse/ rat repellant.

@corybgee Have at least 3K in cash ready to go to purchase a car when you arrive. Nothing like buying a car in the states. Just a temp car to get you by. They have an inspection every year called a JCI. This ensures there are no major problems. Always buy a car that recently had the inspection. The lemon lot has a good selection, but there is a decent place just outside the gate also. Pm me if you want to chat. We can talk on the phone even if you wish.

Back