Idea for door sills. Let me know what you think.

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
VIP Member
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
So Ive been looking at all the door sills available for our cars and I can't decide on which ones I like. I know yospeed makes some quality stuff but I couldn't decide on what sort of engraving or plain design I wanted. Since I live in a saltbox in the winter Im looking to preserve the door sill area of my car.

Currently im floating the idea of plasti-dip, black, on the entire sill from front to back for the winter just to keep the scuffs and rust from developing.

What do you guys think of this?

My car is white and ive done some black PD on the front lip, rear bumper, and rear emblem. It's held up well for over 3 months with repeated automated car washes. I even go through the delta sonic where they spray your car with pressure washers before you enter the "barn."

Also if I decide on some nicer sills in the spring im going to peel the plasti-dip off and we will have a "long-term", 6-7 month, test run on plasti-dip in winter conditions and how easily it then comes off. A bit longer for the bumpers but same thing: How well does it hold up to winter and if it needs to be redone or not.

I'll take pics and post a DIY also. Let me know if anyone thinks this is good or bad. Thanks.

Also, Mr.Yospeed, im gonna order from you once I decide on a design!

if you want to make them invisible on your white paint, have you thought about using clear paint protection film? Essentially clear bra film that people use on the outside of the car, but using it on the sills? I have a roll, and would be willing to sell just bulk film. Without a template/size/shape made, I'd just have to let you cut it to the shape you wanted for coverage.

I was going to say the Webster and I are working on some black vynil stuff for the 8th, but I am sure the 9th would be pretty close. Clear would be really nice.

I would skip on the plastic dip as the best method to remove it is to use a power washer. Basically a no no with the door open, lol.

that is true, but I don't know how great matte black vinyl would look after being exposed to road salt/snow. At least the clear is actually designed for that abuse. The black would need to be cleaned pretty regularly to remove that staining.

I like it webby. So its just clean, spray water on surface, align film, then squeegee? Just like tint sort of? I might have to give this a try. Heat gun? Also is this fairly permanent or can it be pulled off? I'll see if I can get around to measuring and Ill hit you up with a PM about it.

On a side note: I thought PD just peeled off in one big sheet if you were careful?

Pretty much the steps you described to install. If it is 29 inches long or so it will be like this....

CIMG2506-1.jpg

but not carbon fiber :giggle: I just wonder on the width.

you are correct on the application. It's similar to tint application, but the film itself is much thicker than tint film. It's plastic-y feeling. If you've seen clear shield protectors for say iphones from ZAGG - invisible shield - the film is similar to theirs.

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-iphone-4-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

it stretches, it's clear... and it's strong. You don't rip this stuff. You can remove the film at any point. A heat gun helps in removal, to basically heat up the adhesive. You grab a corner, and basically pull.

there are videos I've seen after a car accident, and the other persons paint is stuck into the film. They've removed the film, and there was not a single mark on the persons car. The film took all of the impact/paint damage.

nice. Yeah im very familiar with Zagg's. Had a part time job at Best Buy doing cell phones last year for extra christmas money.

yuz....back in the day :sadbanana:

Stupid UPS lost them when I shipped them out to the guy I sold them to.

I put 3M clearbra on my door sills. I found a site that had a DIY for vinyl overlays and how to apply them. The absolute best product I used to apply the clearbra was Stoner's Foaming window cleaner. It does an amazing job of lubricating and squeegees out nicely.

stoners has some awesome products. Their invisible glass is great stuff

Webby, do you know where I can purchase a small amount of clear vinyl? Im talking small. Need a couple small pieces for the bike where the brake cables rub on the paint.

If you mean clear bra stuff just pm me sizes

I HATE air bubbles!!! did some work with the vinyl from the Webster. Can I post up some of the pics?

The clear gave you air bubbles?? You can post what you did, sure

Did you put the clear on your bike? Turn out good?

Back