Headlight upgrade (LED/HID/Halogen)

Aparajith

Hi all, I have a 2013 Honda Civic Lx Sedan. Being 10 years old and from Canada, the lens has really faded, so much that its got pretty poor visibility. I have been using the Philips 9006 VisionPlus Upgrade Headlight Bulb and now one of them gave out yesterday. I am hence contemplating an upgrade if possible. At the moment I did read about issues with using BiXenons due to the DRL. I am hence thinking of only changing the low beam bulbs and leave the hi beams as it is (halogen with the DRL). I have a couple of questions:
1. I can read that HIDs are better than LEDs. I have used it on my motorcycle before and had to adjust it a lot to avoid lighting up the entire street. How better are they in the stock reflector housing? I have no plans to change to projector retrofit etc.
2. I am thinking of just changing the low beam lights as that is what I majorly use. My plan is to get this: https://www.headlightrevolution.com/9006-Ultra-Series-HID-System_2?quantity=1 (55W 4000K). Will it cause any issues in the CANBUS is there any workaround needed?
3. Are LEDs better/last longer/will cause less discomfort to other drivers on the road? If so, what must I get? I have used HID before and hence know that I need to get the bulb and ballast. Do I need the Optional PWM DRL Drivers? I plan on getting from XenonDepot. Any suggestions?

if your lenses are faded then i think the best option is to get new headlights. putting hids in non projectors headlights is a waste of time in my opinion.

if your lenses are faded then i think the best option is to get new headlights. putting hids in non projectors headlights is a waste of time in my opinion.
Would you say the same thing for LEDs as well?

Would you say the same thing for LEDs as well?
most likely. most halogen headlights arent designed for led and hid light distribution. you can google and watch some videos first.
i tried some led bulbs in my si and the light output was worse than the stock bulbs, like dangerously worse, but they were cheap amazon bulbs.

Costs 20 bucks on Amazon US and 60 on Amazon CA!!!
try walmart, autozone, etc. A ton of companies make headlight restoration kits. Some require you to use a drill, so just take note of that if you don't have one. One of the biggest things is having some type of UV block as a last step. Some kits come with something, and some do not. The UV sealant will keep the headlights from fogging and turning yellow. You may need to apply another coat of UV sealant every 6-12 months to just keep the sun from turning it yellow again. Most of the kits just have a few grades of sandpaper from coarse to fine, and then a polishing step followed by the UV protection. See what you can find in stores. Most carry a few brands of headlight restoration kits.

try walmart, autozone, etc. A ton of companies make headlight restoration kits. Some require you to use a drill, so just take note of that if you don't have one. One of the biggest things is having some type of UV block as a last step. Some kits come with something, and some do not. The UV sealant will keep the headlights from fogging and turning yellow. You may need to apply another coat of UV sealant every 6-12 months to just keep the sun from turning it yellow again. Most of the kits just have a few grades of sandpaper from coarse to fine, and then a polishing step followed by the UV protection. See what you can find in stores. Most carry a few brands of headlight restoration kits.
YUP. did a kit on my mother inlaws fit and its clouded over again.

did the kit have any UV sealant? Or did you reapply 6-12 months later?
I dont remember. it was probably just a wax, it came with a lot like i was supposed to re apply several times.

Back