Coilover Choices

PainlessCandy

Cleveland
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
I know this subject has been beat to death to some degree, but I am looking for some advice on coilovers. I have the HFP suspension for my '13 Si Coupe, and while it is a huge improvement over the stock suspension, I want something better; I have always wished it was stiffer and had less body roll when taking corners hard and I want my car to be a little bit lower which isn't possible with my current setup.

I have read the coilover threads here and understand what most of my options are, but in doing further research on the individual manufacturers I noticed there are a bunch of different levels of products being offered. For the most part I am seeing anyone upgrading to coilovers getting the entry level setups, and I am curious if anyone has experience running the other product lines. In particular, I am looking at the Road/Asphalt Rally series setups offered by a couple of the top brands I see fitting our cars. The harshness of the roads in my area and my driving style seem perfectly suited to this application, and each company touts this version of coilover as more resilient to abuse, which (if true) would be a good choice for dealing with potholes, etc. There is no way that I could live with a track-only style setup as far as ride quality is concerned. The other thing that pulls me toward that product line is the increased travel of the shock/dampener. The main complaint I see from entry-level coilover buyers that are not happy with ride quality stems from a much shorter shock travel than stock or aftermarket spring/shock paired systems. I want it to be stiff and very responsive, but not feel like I'm killing my car when I go over the few hiccups in my highway commute, which are more like speed bumps where the road has been forced together at the joints. (The HFP suspension has been feeling a bit rough recently, but I suspect that's due to the 50k miles of abuse and light unintentional offroading it has seen and not a shortcoming of the original design since it used to feel more steady.) One of the key issues I see with the Rally setups is the rear suspension being combined into a single strut tower much like the front instead of the separate strut and spring that the multi-link system uses at with the stock and entry level setups. I have yet to determine if this is an issue with fitting wider wheels or not.

I am also curious about spring rates. I am having a hard time finding solid numbers on the spring rate of the HFP setup in order to compare to coilover options (hence why I want to add the HFP details to the main suspension thread). If anyone has any experience with different spring rates and what you felt was too harsh or too soft for your Si, or worked better at the track than others, I would appreciate hearing it. Swift springs seem like a no-brainer for the slight increase in price, so experience with them on a 9th Gen is also welcome as I didn't see much of that in my research.

Lastly, are there better coilovers out there for our cars? I see very few manufacturers offering all their product lines for our cars, including some with Rally options like I mentioned above, but not for our cars specifically. And in my research I have come across several "don't waste your money on X suspension, spend the money for a better system from a better manufacturer" posts based on experience, but the X is a top priced brand for our cars from what I can tell. I know you get what you pay for, so I am not opposed to spending an extra $1k to get really good suspension that will handle the abuse of Cleveland roads as opposed to getting entry-level coilovers and having to spend money to rebuild them every 15k miles (I put 25k miles on my car per year, so I'd like to keep from rebuilding anything more than once a year).

My only other concern is over the climate my suspension will see. All the top end brands seem to have similar features to protect them from the elements (dust boots, anodized or electroplated bodies, etc), but I live in a climate where they salt the roads so any experience with rust or structural longevity issues are also appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Buy Buddy Club race spec coilovers. I actually have a set for sale because they were too stiff for me to daily drive.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
Buy Buddy Club race spec coilovers. I actually have a set for sale because they were too stiff for me to daily drive.

That's a great ad, but doesn't answer any of my questions or help me in any way - especially since Buddy Club has many less options any other manufacturers on the market. I did consider them at first, but I seriously doubt I will go with a middle-of-the-road option in the end. I want top-end, performance-oriented options, not budget options since the budget options won't hold up in the end based on what I have seen. More importantly, why would I want to buy coilovers that were too harsh for you based on my original post? I'm guessing you didn't even read my post.

Last edited:
Also, if you want to sell those for any reasonable price I suggest cleaning them. The rear spring mounts look like they are covered in rust to the point that something might be wrong with them.

Not to be mean, but that's the kind of response I expect on FB, not here; which is why I posted this here and not on FB.

i have heard a lot of good things from the D2 RS coilovers. I plan on getting some in the near future.
That's exactly the kind of experience response I'm looking for; maybe more experience and less hearsay ;)

I also see the same reviews, but want to know about their other performance options in comparison.

Whats your budget or do you just want some suggestions on top stuff?

K-sport/D2/BC are all very similar. None are terrible and each have a high end option. Most of the common coil overs are fine for driving and getting a good drop. If you're looking for performance beyond that the cost increases quite a bit past the $1000 point. Most coils are right around that price point.

For example BC has their "ER" series of coils that are $1850. Its a significant step up from the ones you usually see but would probably give you the adjustability you're looking for. If you want a setup that allows you to go from stiff to soft there are a couple options.

If ride height adjustability is not a concern for you I would steer you towards a spring/strut setup. Koni yellows and an appropriate spring. If winter weather is a concern, the adjustment threads on the coil overs will be eaten up and you may lose that adjustability despite efforts to protect them. There are thick grease type products out there for just that sort of thing but again, is that something you are willing to do? Also, do you see yourself changing the ride height very often? I lived in upstate NY for a long time and I am on a nearly 2" drop. I never had issues with snow or found myself unable to get around in the winter even on that large of a drop.

I see people talk online about getting high centered and such and it being due to a 1" or less drop. I find that hard to believe unless they really tried to run over a 4ft tall snowbank.

If you must have adjustable height:

So for adjustability of the ride stiffness I would suggest looking into Tein coil overs that allow you to run their EDFC system. The Tein Street Flex coil overs are pretty nice and are compatible with the EDFC system.

EDFC: Instead of having to get out of the car and adjust the struts you can do it from inside. Change the ride on the fly.

The EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller) makes it possible for the driver to control the damping force at the touch of a button while in the driver's seat. This is accomplished by controlling stepping motors installed on each shock absorber. Because the damping force can be controlled with such ease, the driver can adjust the suspension to suit all road/track conditions. Thus allowing the driver to fully enjoy the driving experience.

If you go strut/spring:

I would say look at a koni yellow based setup. They have an adjustable damping knob on the top that goes from close to stock at full soft to very stiff at full hard setting. Pair them with a good set of springs and you're all set. Nothing to get stuck/corroded/come out of adjustment. The Koni dampers are pretty high quality, much better than the dampers with cheap coil over setups, and they are rebuildable if you ever blow one. Chris at redshift motorsports can work with you on which springs to go with. I'm currently on Koni yellows with spring rates: 218 Front / 448 Rear. At full soft its pretty comfortable but I run the konis turned half way up and at an almost 2" drop the ride gets a little harsh at times.

If you stuck to a drop that was closer to 1.5" and run the dampers turned down I think you would have a pretty comfortable ride. Turning the koni stiffer is not an easy job. You would have to really get in there to reach the knob on the top of the strut. It's the same with all the coil overs though.

For comparison my wifes car has the HFP kit on it and I find her car to be much more comfortable than mine and I think the HFP suspension handles very well. Her car also has an upgraded rear sway bar and I feel like the car should have come that way from the factory.

What suspension mods have you done so far or is it just the HFP setup? If you haven't done it yet, upgrade the rear sway bar. It will cut down a lot on the body roll and reduce the understeer a ton. The car feels a lot better with even just that done to it.

The Koni yellow does require cutting the front strut and doing some fabrication work. I bought new fronts and had redshift do all the work for me so I had no down time with the car and I could just bolt everything in when it arrived. It was expensive but I felt it was worth it. The Koni "Orange" which is really the STR.T strut is a direct bolt in. The only difference is the Yellow had adjustable damping and the Orange is not adjustable but is set to the Yellow at full soft. Orange struts with Tein S.tech springs would be a step up from the HFP kit. You could also get the Swift springs which are 263 Front and 302 Rear.

If your still interested in learning more about the D2 springs after @Nix informative info, I'll talk to a few people i know that use them

Whats your budget or do you just want some suggestions on top stuff?.......

I do have a budget though it's pretty high, maybe $1k-3k. I'm sure there are setups above that price range. From what I can see, the top end systems are largely the same at the base level, hence my questions. But from what I can tell, I can obtain what I want in that price range assuming there are not bigger/better upgrades to be done that I haven't seen yet - and hence my long list of questions.

To clarify, I do NOT want to do an aftermarket spring/strut setup. Koni's are great shocks, but when they aren't paired with specific spring rates rated to my vehicle I don't see the performance difference in end cost getting them as opposed to coilovers that were designed for my specific application.

@Nix you answered part of my question, but I would still like to see if anyone is running the Asphalt Rally spec of those coilovers; they are about $2500 for my Si and I wonder if they are worth the upcharge or not. On BC's website, I see the obvious step up to the ER series, but they make it seem like it is yet another step up to Rally Spec; Hence why I want to know if anyone has experience with them.

I have been planning on replacing my rear sway bar with a 22mm bar, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I have seen many promotions of this simple upgrade and will be doing it, but from the research I have done on it I don't feel that it will solve how I feel about the overall body roll. I really just want it to be more flat around the corners; and what I dislike most is when I hit an uneven bump on the highway and it feels like the whole body (front and back) rolls around too much, even back and forth a couple times depending on how the bump is struck.

Ride height adjustability is a concern, but a lesser one. I would like to be ~2" dropped from stock height, and the HFP setup only gets me halfway there. I am more concerned about moving stability and performance than drop, however (I suspect that when I do my fender flares it will make it look lower than it really is.) From what I see on the top-end coilover options for our cars, most of them have teflon coated threads and electroplated bodies that leave very little metal open to corrosion. But that's why I asked; I would like to know if BC's teflon coating doesn't hold up, for instance.

From what I have seen in my research, Tein is one of the worst coilover manufacturers out there; many, many people have issues with their entry level system that are solved by upgrading to their more expensive system. Any manufacturer that thinks they can get away with selling a sub-par product while offering an on-par product for more money is not to be trusted. Tein is by far the most problematic coilover manufacturer I have seen in all my research and would not buy their product unless I was forced to. Just saying. If I were to go with Tein, it would only be their top-end product which is price-comparable to the other manufacturers without negative reviews at their mid-range product.

The EDFC system is cool, but many car manufacturers are providing this sort of system stock and for a significantly lower price overall. In the end I'm happy adjusting the dampening by hand for the cost.

Part of spending the money on high end suspension includes not having to do my own fabrication work - I have plenty of that on my hands as it is on other fronts (fenders and BBK to say the least). If I'm paying $2k for new suspension, it should bolt on perfectly and not require cutting anything to fit. My car is my daily driver, so lack of down time is a big point.

Note: I have run over several 4ft+ snow banks with snow tires and my HFP suspension and had no issues over the past 2 years. I see no further issues being 1 inch lower unless I'm taking a road trip to Alaska mid-January as far as weather goes.

If you don't mind, could you adjust those values to metric? I am comparing all spring values at kg/m since that is how they are listed on most websites I have looked at.

It sounds like you are dropped about as much as I want to be in the end. And you even addressed the "harshness" at that drop. Do you think Rally spec coilovers will alleviate that, given that they have much more travel and larger dampers than the base-level coilovers at the same drop? That is my biggest question since I see no one else running that spec; and as I said before, one of the biggest problems anyone has with ride quality with that drop is lack of travel in the shock.

Last edited:
If your still interested in learning more about the D2 springs after @Nix informative info, I'll talk to a few people i know that use them

I'm very interested in anyone using above-entry-level coilovers from BC, K-Sport, and D2, as they are the main manufacturers providing Asphalt Rally options in their product lineup. I've seen countless reviews on the entry levels for those makes, but very few for other models by those manufacturers. Thanks for any experience you can import!!

To clarify, I do NOT want to do an aftermarket spring/strut setup. Koni's are great shocks, but when they aren't paired with specific spring rates rated to my vehicle I don't see the performance difference in end cost getting them as opposed to coilovers that were designed for my specific application.

Understood.

You can get redshift to make you a coil over that is built around the Koni yellow damper. The advantage with them is that the Koni is a much better strut quality wise than the struts that come with most coil overs. The internals are valved better and they should last longer and are rebuildable. The strut really controls the ride quality and the adjustment on the yellow changes the ride a ton. The yellow was never made to fit the Civic, it just happened to be the right length to be used and could be bolted into the OEM strut housing. The Oranges they released are model specific but lack the adjustment knob. I don't know why they didn't make it an option. There unfortunately aren't a lot of options for high end suspension with the 2012+ Civics and with the slight suspension changes each year a lot of manufacturers did not release anything for this platform.

I would love to be able to point you to a nice set of KW coil overs but they didn't make any that fit. Sucky.

You could certainly get custom spring rates made to match your style of driving. I don't think it would cost you too much more than the off the shelf price and I believe Swift is a company that is able to do that. I don't know anyone that has run any of the high end coil overs from BC/K-sport/D2 etc. I would suspect that the rally spec AR is a great coil over though.

I have been planning on replacing my rear sway bar with a 22mm bar, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I have seen many promotions of this simple upgrade and will be doing it, but from the research I have done on it I don't feel that it will solve how I feel about the overall body roll. I really just want it to be more flat around the corners; and what I dislike most is when I hit an uneven bump on the highway and it feels like the whole body (front and back) rolls around too much, even back and forth a couple times depending on how the bump is struck.

I think you will be surprised at how much it settles the car down. I was.

Spring rate conversions:

I am on Neuspeed Sport Springs at 218/448 lbs which is:

300 lb/in = 5.3 kg/mm
450 lb/in = 8 kg/mm

The swifts are 260/300 so.... same rates on the front and much softer in the rear.

300 lb/in = 5.3 kg/mm
300 lb/in = 5.3 kg/mm

On the Civic for better handling a lot can be gained with a performance alignment but also you want soft in the front and stiff in the rear to help the car rotate around. Especially if you're going to be doing any type of auto-x.

Are you looking at the K-sport rally spec AR coil overs? I don't see fitment listed for your car. Which is a problem you may run into. The 06-11 systems will fit but are lacking the correct attachment point for the front sway bar. I would not suggest trying to run 06-11 coils on your car as the front sway would need to be removed.

I suggest the BC ER coils only because they are the best ones I know of that are made for the 2012+ Civic. Same with the Tein systems. But if you dislike Tein don't get their stuff! hahaha

Ya I just looked... no high end K-sports available for your car. Sucks! The Kontrol Pros are ok but it sounds like you want something better.

D2 appears to have a few options. From what I know D2 and K-sport are the same company just different stickers/paint/marketing.

Look into the D2 GT. The rally stuff just looks to be oversized for strength but I don't see anything adjustment wise that would make them a better system.

BC ER were never made for this platform only BR and Ultra Low. They are all low end budget coilovers, if you want something that will last and with good quality you need to look at KW, Ohlins, H&R or Fortune Auto brand. Sadly none of them are available for this platform. I would keep HFP suspension and buy Progress sway bar.

Some of the Tein coilovers are made in China and some are made in Japan.

http://teinusa-blog.com/tein-has-two-manufacturing-plants/

Back