Body Style
Dad
DIY 2012 Civic "JDM" Red Hazard Warning Switch

hazard.png

What you need:
  • Genuine Honda red hazard warning switch
  • Phillips screwdriver
Important Notes:
  • Be careful not to damage any of the parts you will be removing. The plastic parts can be forgiving, but the clips holding them in place are not.
  • Even being as careful as possible, clips still do break. You can purchase replacements directly from Honda, your local dealership, or from one of our wonderful vendors right here on this site.
Let's Begin:
  1. Remove the driver's dashboard lower cover.

2. Remove the dashboard subdisplay visor and lower the steering column to its lowest position.

The dashboard is very much firmly in place, so take your time with it. Start from the left and slowly pull towards you. If you have a Si, disconnect the VSA switch cable.

Work your way up and around towards the right, slowly letting the clips disengage. Once you've worked your way to the right, gently pull the subdisplay from the bottom and towards you horizontally so that you allow the air vents to clear. The bottom clips should pretty much remove themselves.

3. Disconnect the hazard switch cable.

4. Remove the switch from the dashboard by removing the two screws shown below.

Here are both switches side-by-side. The red one is about twice as heavy as the factory one...not sure why that is.

5. Install the new hazard switch, reinstall both screws, and reinstall the subdisplay.

You want to go in reverse of how your removed it. The bottom needs to go over the light and turn signal switches, then make sure you get both air vents to go in afterwards. Be careful not to scratch the switches on the steering column; use a shop towel if you're concerned. Again, take your time with it.
    Once you have it seated properly, all the clips should snap into place.
That's it, you're done. Here's how it looks installed:

Big thanks to Andy for obtaining the correct genuine Honda red switch for me. For those wanting to know, the one I used is only available in 2012 Civic models outside of the United States, so it had to be purchased directly from a Honda dealership abroad and then imported. American Honda does not offer it for sale.

Questions? Feel free to post your comments below!

Last edited:
  • Staff
looks great !! does it lit up ?? a night shot please...
It didn't light up when I pressed it. Unless it lights up when the light switch is on, I don't think it has that capability. I'll let you know if it does.

Can u please give the part number for the red switch u used?=Thanks
Excellent DIY!!
thank u for your efforts and sharing!!

• Staff
Can u please give the part number for the red switch u used?=Thanks
Excellent DIY!!
thank u for your efforts and sharing!!
I'm sorry, but I don't have the part number. If I do get it, I'll post it here.

It wasn't that bad. My fingers hurt like hell and I broke two fastening clips, but it was only two out probably 12 and they're replaceable. :shrug:
I probably won't be touching the dashboard again unless I have a better reason...like adding a backup camera or something.

I read that the FD2 button doesn't fit properly, although I can't personally confirm that.

alien prime from 9th gen civic tried it already, the jdm 8th gen hazard switch fits, but it angel the wrong way & the button do not set flush with the 9th gen dashboard

Looks really Great! I broke one of my clips when i installed the 8thgen FD2 type R button! Will be buying this one for sure :D

Thanks for the contribution! :D

Looks really Great! I broke one of my clips when i installed the 8thgen FD2 type R button! Will be buying this one for sure :D

Thanks for the contribution! :D
Thank you sir, and welcome to the dark side ;)
I broke two clips as well, so I ordered more from CHH.

is the pic deceiving, or is it really that bright in your pic?

it's subtle glow, it's not bright

also need to thank jasonandre for this diy, or else i wouldn't dare to tear my interior panels off

Back