2013 Civic "Premium Audio System" Navigation Stereo Upgrade

Sorry hillstone one more question. i am getting new components for the front and coaxial for the rear and a new amp that accepts balanced diff inputs, my last question is do i need a loc or just two sets of JL Audio RCA-to-Speaker Wire Adapters(or a alt brand)? your input has greatly helped me sorry i am a pain

Sorry hillstone one more question. i am getting new components for the front and coaxial for the rear and a new amp that accepts balanced diff inputs, my last question is do i need a loc or just two sets of JL Audio RCA-to-Speaker Wire Adapters(or a alt brand)? your input has greatly helped me sorry i am a pain
You do not need an LOC because the outputs from the premium head unit are pre-amp level outputs. You just need the RCA-to-speaker wire adapters.

Will someone PLEASE post a diy for these! It has been a hot discussion and it needs to be laid out for everyone! I had to pay someone to do this, and I'm sure many others want to see this

It's the same as hooking up and amp. Just cut the connectors to the stock amp off and splice RCAs or RCA to speaker wire adapters to the pre amp wires then run those to your aftetmarket amp and run speaker wire from your aftermarket amp (post amp) to the post stock amp connector. Fairly easy to do. Easier than running all new wire everywhere at least.

It's the same as hooking up and amp. Just cut the connectors to the stock amp off and splice RCAs or RCA to speaker wire adapters to the pre amp wires then run those to your aftetmarket amp and run speaker wire from your aftermarket amp (post amp) to the post stock amp connector. Fairly easy to do. Easier than running all new wire everywhere at least.
No this wont work 95% of the time. The connection between the stock head unit and amp uses balanced differential inputs. You have to use an amp that accepts these as inputs or you wont get any signal. From the pre amp wiring.

Sorry I think I misunderstood then. I have an amp that accepts diff balanced inputs and that's what I did so i was giving the how to for what i did

Sorry I think I misunderstood then. I have an amp that accepts diff balanced inputs and that's what I did so i was giving the how to for what i did
Oh ok. My bad. If your amp accepts balanced differential inputs it will definitely work. Sadly most aftermarket amps dont accept those inputs though. My own personal opinion, if you want to run an amp, start with an aftermarke head unit. To each his own though [emoji12]

Oh ok. My bad. If your amp accepts balanced differential inputs it will definitely work. Sadly most aftermarket amps dont accept those inputs though. My own personal opinion, if you want to run an amp, start with an aftermarke head unit. To each his own though [emoji12]
I love JL Audio and want to retain iMID and steering wheel control function so the cost would be similar if not more to replace head unit and interface adapters, ect. Plus there high quality products

Damn, I was hoping to replace my speakers soon but now seeing how much this will cost, not only for the amp and the speakers, but installation as well, I may have to put this off for a long long time.

Question though, I don't really want a sub, can I get by with a cheaper amp and just some Polks or Alpine Type S in the doors and rear?

Damn, I was hoping to replace my speakers soon but now seeing how much this will cost, not only for the amp and the speakers, but installation as well, I may have to put this off for a long long time.

Question though, I don't really want a sub, can I get by with a cheaper amp and just some Polks or Alpine Type S in the doors and rear?
You can get a 4 channel amp that accepts differential balanced inputs. So it will be cheaper than an amp that has a sub channel but these amps are more expensive. Trust me. It IS worth upgrading. I'm sure just replacing the amp will be a night and day improvement

You can get a 4 channel amp that accepts differential balanced inputs. So it will be cheaper than an amp that has a sub channel but these amps are more expensive. Trust me. It IS worth upgrading. I'm sure just replacing the amp will be a night and day improvement

So you're saying just putting in a new amp with the stock speakers will make a difference? What's your opinion on the Type S speakers? Do you have any suggestions on which amp to try? I'm totally lost when it comes to audio stuff, I was just gonna piece everything together then take it to a shop to install.

So you're saying just putting in a new amp with the stock speakers will make a difference? What's your opinion on the Type S speakers? Do you have any suggestions on which amp to try? I'm totally lost when it comes to audio stuff, I was just gonna piece everything together then take it to a shop to install.
The rear speakers are the ones that need to be upgraded most. But a nice set of component speakers for the front will make a big difference too. In order to notice a difference, you have to bypass the stock amp which means you need an amp that accepts diff balanced inputs. Any audio shop can install it for you. And type s speakers are alright. They will be an improvement over stock. I had them in my first car and they sounded good.

I agree with all of this input, but I originally had an loc from the sub and it sounded good, then I had someone wire it pre amp and it sounds much better. I don't mind the factory speakers with my sub, I'm not sq crazy. I think it depends on how great of quality you want..

I agree with all of this input, but I originally had an loc from the sub and it sounded good, then I had someone wire it pre amp and it sounds much better. I don't mind the factory speakers with my sub, I'm not sq crazy. I think it depends on how great of quality you want..
I had a sub wired with hi level inputs at first and it was alright. Not as good as in my previous cars but better than stock. After going pre amp, the bass is so much cleaner along with the rest of the speakers and actually getting volume from the rears! Night and day difference

Bypassing the Honda/Pioneer amp is the only way to go because that amp with the built-in crossover/equalization is complete dogshit. When I had the Civic, it sounded amazing with the JL amp, JL 10" sub in the custom box, and Focal Integration speakers. It was a night and day difference because the JL amp receives the pre-amp full range signal from the head unit, not a destroyed signal from the factory amp. I don't miss my Civic at all, but I do miss the sound system upgrade that I had done. I am glad this post has helped many of you with your own stereo upgrades. My new Altima has the 9-speaker Bose system and it rocks. No need for an upgrade. But it is sad that Honda does not have a true premium sound system, and their attempt is just awful in all their cars. I have read many complaints about their all-touchscreen Display audio head unit. People prefer buttons and knobs, especially when driving a car.

Back